Here's what you need to know about coronavirus (COVID-19), how it affects you, and what you can do to look after yourself, your friends and family right now.
What is coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Coronavirus (also known as COVID-19) is a virus that causes respiratory infection. This can range from mild illness to pneumonia and may include fever, flu-like symptoms such as coughing, sore throat and fatigue and shortness of breath. Some people will recover easily, and others may get very sick very quickly. 1
You can get more information on COVID-19 here: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus
How does this affect me? How can I look after myself and others?
Well, everyone is being asked to do a few things to protect each other, because this virus can be spread without you even knowing you have it! And you don't want to be the one who makes other people sick. To avoid spreading the illness:
- Follow physical distancing guidelines when you are required to be around other people: maintain at least 1.5 metre distance between yourself and others
- Check out the Victorian Government website for the latest restrictions
- Stop shaking hands, hugging or kissing as a greeting
- Stay healthy with good nutrition, regular exercise and sleeping well
- Practice good hygiene:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, sneezing, or using the toilet. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitiser that contains at least 60 percent alcohol
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow
- Do not share drink bottles, plates, cups or cutlery
- Clean and disinfect high touch surfaces regularly e.g. phones, keyboards, door handles, light switches, bench tops.
These tips and more are available here: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus-covid-19-transmission-reduction-measures
Current Restrictions - what you need to know!
Up to date information on Victoria's current restrictions is available here: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/victorias-restriction-levels-covid-19
Why staying home is important to stop the spread:
Anyone 12 years and over must wear a fitted face mask whenever they leave their home, indoors or outdoors, unless lawful exception applies.
For the most updated information on face mask rules and exceptions visit: Face masks | Coronavirus Victoria
Face masks are recommended outdoors where you cannot maintain 1.5 meters from others.
For the latest information, head to the link below:
Your mental health during this time is very important:
Check out our page for local resources for looking after your Mental Health During COVID-19.
And please click here if you need support or information with Family/Domestic Violence and COVID-19.
Check out this video about how to calm down when you're feeling anxious, made by young people from Maroondah:
Where can I get further information?
It is normal that this situation, and what we see in the media, can make us feel anxious and overwhelmed. Following reputable information sources is very important.
Check out the latest up to date information on coronavirus via here: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus
If you have any questions or need further information, visit coronavirus.vic.gov.au OR call the Coronavirus Hotline on 1800 675 398 – for an interpreter, press 0 (zero).
You can also download the Coronavirus App here: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/apps-and-tools/coronavirus-australia-app
Or you can use what's app - to get started: www.aus.gov.au/whatsapp